Thursday, February 25, 2010

Say it isn't so!!

February 25, 2009 will forever be a day I will never forget. It started off as any normal morning. Headed to work but this morning was different. I was praying for our children and wondering when, where and how. Left work and went to the gym to my kickboxing class...oh how I miss you...and met James at the park. It was such a pretty warm day for February and we decided to go for a walk to enjoy the sun. And then we got the call that changed our lives forever! A friend called us and said to call his sister that was a nurse and that she had very good news for us. (I can't give names of who called us but you know who you are and thank you!) So we called and was told that a baby girl was born and her birth mom needed a family for her baby and she heard about us and wanted to meet us. February 25th will be a day we will never forget. James and I went home that night trying not to get our hopes up and trying to get a plan in order. I don't think either one of us got much sleep that night.

The next morning we went to the hospital to meet this young girl and she was scared and wanted to go home. She stayed long enough for us to meet her and to sign the hospital release papers to us and she was gone. I know I will never forget her name or what she looks like. She is a beautiful girl with a heart full of gold. She gave the ultimate gift to a family that was hurting so badly. She gave us the gift of life! A little life that was so precious and pure.

I remember seeing "baby girl" for the first time. That's what they called her...she had no name. I remember when they put the id bracelets on me and then James and us looking at each other thinking is this for real? Seeing baby girl and falling in love with her the minute we laid eyes on her. How scared we both were. She was in NICU for a good reason. She was so tiny and needed help breathing and on oxygen. She was a little premature and had no prenatal care. I remember when the nurse asked us if we wanted to hold her and we looked at each other and didn't know what to do. I was the first one to hold her and I will never forget that feeling. Had all kinds of feelings...feelings of joy, heartache, peace and thankfulness. I remember thanking God for this precious baby girl. I remember the nurse asking if we had a camera and we didn't think about bringing one so we took one with my cell phone. I remember texting that first picture to our family and friends. I remember handing baby girl over to James and seeing his tears of joy and fears all at the same time. I remember putting her back in the nurses arms and leaving the hospital so we could call our parents. I remember that phone call...they didn't believe us! I remember going back to work because we didn't know what else to do. I remember driving to Levelland to watch my niece tumble at a basketball game that same night. I remember driving back to the hospital with grandparents with us. I remember us naming baby girl Farrah Nichole. I remember putting Farrah in Jean's arms for the first time and seeing pure joy on her face. I remember putting Farrah in my mom and dad's arms and how proud they were. I remember thinking how tiny Farrah is in my dads giant arms. I remember kissing Farrah goodnight and promising her not to worry that we would be back. I will never forget this day.

Oh Farrah I can just sit here and cry and think how you changed our lives. You will never understand the huge hole you filled in our hearts. You are a precious gift and we are honored to call you daughter. You may not have been born from my body but you were born from my heart. We are so proud of you and you make us laugh and smile everyday. You keep us in awe of your beauty, how you smile and laugh and tease. We love you and Happy Birthday!!

First picture of Farrah



First family picture

4 comments:

Monica Curry said...

this brought tears to my eyes! i can't even imagine! farrah is absolutely perfect, beautiful and precious all rolled into one sweet little girl. this just goes to say that God truly gives you the desires of your heart if you delight in him. Happy Birthday Farrah!!!!

Jessie said...

awesome! thank you for sharing that story! I've always wondered what it was like the day you went shopping for baby stuff. How much fun was that and what was that like?

Anonymous said...

I am crying now! Farrah has been such a blessing to out family. My faith is boosted everytime I look at her sweet face. She is a true answer to prayers. I love you miss Farrah, and your mommy and daddy!

Kelli Archer said...

This brought tears to my eyes, too! What an amazing story sweet Farrah and her parents have of God's love!