Sunday, June 22, 2014

Adoption....

As most of you know that our precious daughter, Farrah is adopted.  We adopted her from the very beginning.  Farrah was fifteen hours old when we first held her.  Over the years we have been very open with Farrah and her being adopted.  We read books and talk about being adopted and what it means and mostly what the bible says about being adopted.

A couple of weeks ago we were asked if we could be interviewed about Farrah's adoption.  We explained to Farrah that we were asked to do an interview about her adoption and explained what would happen.  Farrah said that it was fine with her to do the video so we did.

I wasn't really sure what to think about it....I knew mostly that I wanted to protect and respect Farrah.  She is now getting to the age where she is asking questions about being adopted and why.  I wasn't sure how she would react or respond to the questions that were asked but she did great!  After the interview she acted like it was no big deal.

This morning our church did the sermon and showed the video of different families who have adopted.  These families all have different stories.  Some were Foster Care to adopting, adopting family members, adopting overseas and some adopting locally.  I knew the video was going to be shown today and I told Farrah that but she still wanted to go to class.



I walked her into class and she was so excited to be there....when she walked through the door another child pointed across the room and yelled in front of everyone "Farrah, you're adopted!!"  My heart sank!  I didn't know what to do.  I watched Farrah's little shoulders drop and she stopped in her tracks and just stood there.  It took all of me not to run after Farrah and give her a great big hug and shield her from being "tagged" adopted.  I just told Farrah have fun and see you in a bit because truthfully I didn't know what to do.

After hearing the sermon from Pastor Jantzen about how important adoption and his passion for it it made me proud.  Not in a prideful way but in a way that I'm honored that God called ME to be Farrah's mommy.  As I sat and listened to why as a church we should take care of the orphans I sat there being thankful.  Thankful that I didn't say no.  Thankful that we were obedient to God.  Thankful that I fought for her.

So many times we hear what we can do for the orphans but let me tell you what Farrah did for us.  I had no idea how broken my heart was.  I was at a point in my life that I was questioning God....to the point to was he even real?  Farrah being born to us not only made me a mommy but she healed my heart!  I was heart broken and the first time I laid eyes on her all the heartache went away.  God had truly shown us his perfect love.

After church we got in the car and I said to her "Farrah, when that little kid yelled across the room about you being adopted how did that make you feel?"  Her response was "It made me sad."  I asked her why and she said "I know people know I'm adopted but I don't FEEL like I'm adopted."  It took me a second to not just cry with joy, but that's the truth.  We've never given Farrah the label "adopted".  She is our daughter....100% our daughter!  She doesn't get any special treatment because she is adopted.  She still gets disciplined and she has chores just like everyone else.

Farrah has been such a faith booster not for only us but for so many of our friends and family.  Will we adopt again...I sure hope so!  All I know to do is sit and listen and be obedient to God.  If he calls us to adopt again then we will be honored to but if not then we are blessed by Farrah!

No comments: