Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year...New Me

I'm not usually all that big on new years resolution but this year I have really felt God put a couple of things on my heart.

After talking to a lot of new mommies we are all struggling with being a good mom. We are all moms no matter how you look at it. Some are stay at home moms and some are working moms...all in all we are ALL full time moms! I really feel like so many moms are attacking each other and comparing our children to each other. I'm a better mom than you cause I'm staying home or my kid can knows all of her colors and she 9 months old. I'll speak for myself but I'm just trying to survive the day! I want to raise my daughter to believe and love God with all of her heart and love her family and to be respectful to others and to be a good citizen and to know right from wrong and to make good decisions. I don't know about you but I'm not worried who's doing what I need to focus on being all that I can be and making the right decisions for my own family. I am so blessed to have both sets of mommy friends, to have stay at home moms and to have working moms. So this year I want to be a better mom, wife, daughter, sister and friend.

I also feel like God has been speaking to be about me being a better wife. As you know we instantly became parents back in February and I have dropped the wife card. The first couple of months I don't really remember, and that is really sad to me but it is what it is. I was trying to figure out how to balance being a new mom and a wife at the same time. I remember one day James came home to a crying wife and a crying baby. I was so stressed out about trying to do everything on my own. Trying to take care of Farrah, trying to clean the house, trying to cook dinner everyday. I was lucky to get a shower three times a week and I was so stressed out. Thank goodness I have a wonderful husband is is very caring and understanding. He came home and pretty much told me to stop everything and just enjoy our daughter. She will never be a month old so sit and hold her and enjoy her...and I did! So now the older Farrah is getting the more organized I am getting. All this to say is I will always be a mom but I was a wife first. Farrah will grow up and leave home one day and James will be here. I don't want to have to get to reknow my husband in 20 years. I want to stay on target with all of his interest and joys and his job. So I am making a pledge to have more one on one time with him and giving him my full attention. So many times I find myself sitting next to him and talking but in the back of my mind I'm thinking of all I need to get done. No more!!

And the last thing is just being a better person/Christian. I see so many people struggling everyday if its at the store, or on the street and I just walk on by. I want to become more of a blessing then just a looker.

So my new year resolution is different this year...yes I would love to lose weight, and be more organized and cook more but for this year I want to be a better me!

2 comments:

Just Believing said...

I so could have wrote this exact same thing!

Some days I am just struggling to survive and comparing my life to other moms doesnt help anything...we all have our days good and bad and no need to compare !

Also being a wife first I totally get and think very few people do! Hubby and I now have alot of time at night together that Faith sleeps!

Thanks for sharing!

Laura C. Brandenburg said...

Loved reading this. You are such a great example of a mom and wife. :)