Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas!!

Hello everyone!! I just wanted to wish you all a very merry Christmas!! I hope you all make great family memories and eat way to much! Last year my family started a tradition with the gift of service. We as a family really wanted to show the kids what Christmas is all about. It's not about presents it's about giving!! So last year my mom had the great idea of going to the children's hospital in Lubbock and giving sick children toys. So my mom bought all the stuffed bears that played Jesus Loves Me. So we put Santa hats on the kids and led them to each room and one my one they would give the child a Christmas bear and say a blessing...They ended up saying Merry Christmas and feel better soon and then they would run out of the room. After the first room they each had the confidence built up and would say more. But I really think for Lucas and Reagan it really hit home for them. So this year it is James and my turn for the service project. We were in Target about three months ago and looking around and James found these piggy banks that were knight helmets. James picked them up and started thinking what a great service project for this year. We are going to read about the armor of God and explain the helmet of salvation. So the idea is for each family to have a helmet and put any spare change in it and then at the end of the year we would come together as a family and make a donation to a children's ministry. James and I have it narrowed down to two. One is to help build a water well in Indiana for families who have to travel a long way for fresh water and the other is an orphanage in Africa. So we will let the kids decide which one. I'm really exited that my family has grasped this for the children and for ourselves. This is what Christmas is all about. To help someone else besides yourself that is in need!! So here is a challenge for you and your family...you can start out small but let's teach our own children, nieces and nephew's about the REAL meaning of Christmas!!

No comments: